Big Picture Responsibilities
The Lead Software Engineer provides technical direction for the DNCs application infrastructure. The position will build tools for the DNC both internally and for Democratic campaigns across the country. The last few years have seen incredible advances in campaign technology, and the Lead Engineer will both help Democrats leverage these advances, while laying the groundwork for what comes next.
This position reports to the Engineering Director and will work closely with other members of the Technology Department to lead a team of engineers developing applications and back-end systems for both the DNC and Democratic campaigns and committees.
- Work with the Director of Engineering to develop technical specifications for software applications and the plan for developing, delivering and supporting those applications;
- Commit clean, readable, well-documented code and hustle to fix things when they break;
- Provide code reviews and ongoing leadership for a team of software engineers;
- Investigate new technologies that may improve our application stack and improve our software development cycle.
The Lead Engineer will have experience solving complex technical problems at all levels of the application stack. You want to bring experience from the technology industry to help Democrats be faster and better at their jobs by decreasing friction for users across our applications. You probably also have:
- Experience working on campaign technology or a consumer web site at scale;
- Expertise manipulating huge amounts of data, working with relational and NoSQL databases;
- Experience writing Ruby on Rails and/or Python and parsing new languages and specifications;
- Excitement about working in a highly collaborative team in an agile framework, and;
- A commitment to the cause of electing Democrats and furthering progressive governance at all levels.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC) is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
Department: Technology Department
Location: Washington, D.C.